Little disclaimer and explanation – I’m talking about GOOD WINE made without chemicals. C4L is encompassing all alcoholic drinks under one umbrella which is their big mistake!
While watching TV last night I was shocked to see an advert from Change 4 Life telling people that drinking 2 glasses of wine a day will give them cancer! How irresponsible is this? Not only is this absolute rubbish, but it beggars belief that somebody has decided to pay for it to go on national television! Change 4 Life is promoted by the NHS but there is no doubt that this completely false message was invented by central government – exactly the same as the completely ficticious alcohol unit limit farce. (The government employed a think tank of medical experts to come up with a “safe recommended limit” then decided they didn’t like the number they came up with and basically chopped it in half!)
I’ve been on the Change 4 Life website this morning and seen a list of all the negative effects this “excessive” drinking can cause, and frankly that is a load of rubbish as well. In fact drinking good wine – IN MODERATION – has a positive effect on people’s health in virtually all the areas they ‘re telling us it is negative! Below is the text taken from their website, with the truth in bold!
(PLEASE NOTE – I’m talking about good natural sulphite free wine (in moderation), made without the addition of harmful chemicals. This does not apply to mass produced wines or other mass produced alcoholic drinks, which contain substantial quantities of artificial preservatives and other chemicals, and which can be harmful).
Regularly drinking over the lower-risk guidelines increases the chances of suffering from any of the conditions below:
- Cancer of the mouth, throat, oesophagus or larynx
- Actually good natural sulphite free wine reduces the risks of cancer because the natural antioxidants block the free radicals which cause damage to the cell’s nucleus. Cheap mass produced wine has the opposite effect.
- Breast cancer in women
- As Above
- Likelihood of a stroke is in fact REDUCED by up to 50% .
- Heart disease or an irregular heartbeat, which can lead to heart attack
- Again REDUCED by up to 50% . This is because heart disease, stroke, aneursyms, DVT and kidney failure are all part of the vascular tree, and drinking good wine reduces the likelihood of vacular disease by a whopping 50%!
- High blood pressure
- No – drinking good wine actually reduces blood pressure!
- Liver damage such as cirrhosis and liver cancer
- No, not if you drink sparingly and slowly. (Drinking any acohol to excess is not good for you though!) - because good wine doesn’t contain masses of harmful additional chemicals (as in factory produced wines, beers, alcopops etc) the liver is free to process the alcohol which, in reasonable amounts, it can handle easily. In mass produced drinks where nasty chemicals are present it processes them first leaving the alcohol to cause damage. However too much alcohol in one go is still not good for you, remember – drink in moderation.
- Most pancreatitis is caused by gallstones, but drinkling good wine actually reduces the likelihood of getting gallstones by 30%
- Depression, memory loss, brain damage or dementia
- No – exactly the opposite in fact. The natural antioxidants stimulate nerve enzymes called MAP kinase, which regenerate nerve connections reducing neurodegeneration, the cause of Parkinsons and dementure. The nutrients and vitamins in good wine are a positive tonic and combat depression.
- Reduced fertility
- I couldn’t comment on this one!
The major point that the government are missing here is the difference between good wine made naturally without additional harmful chemicals, and mass produced alcoholic drinks infused with artificial additives. We’ve said for years that the excessive use of sulphites in both food and drink, including virtually all mass produced wines, is causing cancer. It is great that the government has finally admitted this, although they’re not brave enough to differentiate between quality well made natural products and the mass produced crap that dominates our high streets. Rather than risk the wrath of powerful global companies they’d rather mask it all in one obscure misleading generalisation! You’ll notice the supermarkets have all converted their own brand foods to “no artificial additives or preservatives” precisely because they know the damage these additives are doing. However at the present time it simply isn’t possible to do it with their cheap factory made wines because they are mainly nasty chemicals with a little grape juice!
If the government did publicly admit this we would have a national panic on our hands as people everywhere would stop consuming all these mass produced foods and drinks. The supply chain would collapse, and so would many global companies. So it is a delicate issue, but I still believe people’s health should be put before corporate profit. Interestingly parliament has an incredible wine cellar – no supermarket plonk full of chemicals in there – and the House of Commons bar sources real ales from micro breweries produced without excessive chemicals – what a coincidence!
Some of us are fortunate enough to have discovered the harm these chemical infused food and drinks are doing to us, and we’ve been able to change our eating and drinking habits.
For a full medical health benefit report on why good wine is actively good for us by renowned doctor and winemaker DR Phil Norrie MBBS, MA, MSc, MSocSc(Hons), PhD, MD(cand), click here. It is fascinating reading, although slightly heavy going on page 1 – all the benefits are summarised on two pages at the end. To benefit most we should drink a moderate amount of good wine EVERY DAY as the human body is not able to store these natural anti oxidants for future use.
Dr Phil actually says that “people who regularly drink good red wine in moderation have the lowest death rates of all causes” – great news indeed!
You can find good chemical free natural wine here!