Wine is permitted by law to have upto around 80 different chemicals added. The EU lawmakers justify this by saying that wine is such a wide and varied subject with thousands of different grape varieties, unlimited different microclimates, weather patterns, producers, production methods……..that they need the flexibility to use these chemicals to help correct potential problems. Unfortunately the truth is that cheap, mass produced wines are full of these chemicals and contain high levels of sulphites which are believed to cause mouth, throat and abdominal cancers as well as asthma of course. So no mass produced wine is good for you. In fact they are likely to all be very bad for you! That horrendous hangover isn’t caused by the alcohol – it is caused by the cocktail of chemicals in the wine. If it makes you feel that bad consider what harm it must actually be doing to your body. Drink some sulphite free wine (in moderation) and you will wake up without a hangover and actually feel healthy in the morning.
So which wine is actually good for you?
5. Reduced blood pressure (15)
6. Antiseptic due to alcohol and more importantly polyphenols (16)
7. Increases morale and appetite – nursing home and hospital patients (25) + (5)
8. Wine contains Quercetin, Resveratrol and Epicatechin, which are Nature’s most
Potent antioxidants and also act as anti-carcinogens (17)
9. Reduction in colds / URTI by up to 85% (18)
10. Diabetes reduced by up to 50% because the antioxidants reduce insulin resistance.
Dry wine best alcoholic drink that is allowed with diabetes as all the sugar has
been converted to alcohol.(19)
11. Reduced gallstones by up to 30% (20)
12. Reduced kidney stones by up to 39% (21)
13. Reduced Alzheimer’s disease and mult infarct (stroke) forms of dementia by up to
14. Reduced Parkinson’s disease (22)
15. Improved digestion (5)
16. Reduced H. Pylori infection of the stomach and duodenum leading to reduced
17. Improved physical and intellectual condition in the elderly (7)
18. Reduced Hepatitis A (24)
19. Reduced stress and depression (25)
20. Reduced essential tremor (26)
21. Reduced tooth decay (27)
22. Reduced cancer of the prostate by upto 50%
Read Dr Phil’s full article here (4 pages)
However the vast majority of red wines, even the expensive ones, still have chemicals added - sulphites in particular. Even EU Organic wine, legally labelled as “wine made from organically grown grapes” as it is only the actual grape growing which is certified, still has chemicals including sulphites added at the winemaking stage. And would you believe so do BIODYNAMIC certified wines! They are permitted to contain up to 90 mg/l of sulphites!
How do you find a good red wine which doesn’t contain these sulphites?
SoLo S02 Navitas is a sulphite free red wine made without the addition of any chemical substances at any stage right from the planting of the original vines, right through to the bottling of the wine. It is 100% natural – but also a beautiful wine in it’s own right. Due to the unique methods used in the vineyard and in the cellar SoLo S02 Navitas is packed full of natural anti oxidants and is very possibly THE healthiest wine available anywhere. You can buy it from specialist low sulphite/sulfite free wine online retailer www.goodwineonline.co.uk who have a good selection of great tasting, healthy sulphite free wines. They offer a case deal on the SoLo S02 Navitas.
Update 23rd March 2012
Solo are about to launch their much anticipated white wine in the UK at last! “Aurum Natura” (natural gold) is a blend of 65% Chardonnay, 30% Marsanne and 5% Viognier. It’s made from grapes grown on vineyards which have never used any chemicals. The wine was made without any chemical intervention too, except for a tiny splash of sulphites (only 6% of the permitted level!) at bottling to retain the wine’s natural acidity.Solo Aurum Natura is a pure, natural wine with delicious full fruit flavours and a crisp acidity on the dry finish – the first wine of it’s kind anywhere. It’s also vegan friendly and gluten free, and is perfectly safe even for sulphite intolerant people. It’s available to buy online from www.goodwineonline.co.uk